Scholarship Granting Organization (SGO)
The Indiana School Scholarship Tax Credit Program, passed in the summer of 2009, is designed to provide scholarship support for thousands of low and middle income families to enroll their children in the private or parochial school of their choice. Donors (individuals or corporations) are eligible to take advantage of a 50% credit against their state tax liability for contributions made to a qualified scholarship granting organization (SGO). St. Joseph School has partnered with a qualified SGO called the Institute for Quality Education (IQE).
Contributing to the Institute for Quality Education (IQE)
- IQE is a 501(c)3.
- Contributions to the IQE are eligible for a 50% Indiana State Tax Credit and can also be deducted for federal tax purposes.
- All contributions qualify for the Indiana State Tax Credit. The only exceptions are contributions from a foundation. Foundations may still contribute; however, they are not eligible for the tax credit.
- Checks MUST be made out to the Institute for Quality Education (IQE).
- Checks can be given to the St. Joseph School Office or mailed to Institute for Quality Education, Attn: Mary Eaker, 101 W. Ohio St., Suite 700, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204. If you are mailing a check to IQE, make sure to specify that your donation is for St. Joseph School, Shelbyville.
- All checks should be accompanied by a SGO donor card found on the website at www.i4qed.org. See attached Donor Card.
- After filling out the form, the donor can scan the form and email it to email@example.com.
- Upon receipt of the donor card, IQE will submit the information to the Indiana Department of Revenue.
- The Department of Revenue will register the contribution, generate a seven digit code for the contribution, and give that code to IQE.
IQE will send a confirmation/thank you letter to the donor with the seven digit code. This code will be used on the tax return. This letter will also serve as the acknowledgement for federal tax purposes. IQE will send a copy of the letter to St. Joseph School.
For more information about the Institute for Quality Education, go to www.i4qed.org.
Questions? Contact Mary Eaker, Program Director at mary.eaker@i4Qed.org or 317-951-8781.
In addition, you can also contact the principal at St. Joseph School at 317-398-4202.
The Indiana School Scholarship Tax Credit Program
Adjusted gross income tax, financial institutions tax, and insurance premiums taxes are eligible for the tax credit. Corporate or individual taxpayers may participate.
There is no limit on the size of individual contributions to SGOs, but the tax credit amount cannot exceed a taxpayer’s state tax liability.
There is a program cap of $7.5 million per year. Those who are first to contribute are first to qualify for tax credits.
SGOs work directly with Department of Revenue to assure that your donation qualifies and is properly recorded.
Please open the attached Donation Form PDF, print it, fill in all required information and send to the address shown on the form.
Please contact SJCS if you have any questions regarding contributing a donation.
We can be reached by contacting the office
By phone: 317-398-4202
By email: Kathleen Simpson
or by using the handy form to the right.